Sunday, April 11, 2010

Beautiful vintage illustration is so inspiring!







I came across these gorgeous illustrations while searching for reference material. I've always loved the illustration in old storybooks, and now I have another favourite illustrator to add to my list: Jennie Harbour.

Looking at all these fairytale illustrations may be the inspiration for my upcoming solo exhibition. I'm thinking about doing a series of illustrations based on passages from old fairytales. I've purchased a couple books off of amazon.com that I am looking at for inspiration.

The most intriguing book so far is "The Complete Fairy Tales and Stories of Hans Christian Anderson." This is a very thick paperback book (1101 pages to be exact), it contains no illustration, and it looks like there's over 100 stories inside. I'm looking forward to reading the stories and hopefully finding some inspiring passages.

I think it would be the most interesting to do illustrations from lesser-known fairytales, as we all have the Cinderella and Snow White stories memorized by now. And when you really get down to it.....who wants to compete with all the beautifully illustrated classics that are already out there anyways?

No comments:

Post a Comment